KNUTSFORD FC are through to the semi-finals of the Cheshire Amateur Cup.

They booked their ticket with a hard-earned 3-1 win at Runcorn Sports at the weekend.

Reds will go on to face either Hyde-based Hattersley or Govan & University of Manchester in the semi-finals, which are scheduled to be played on Saturday, February 3.

Knutsford fielded a strong squad on a ‘decent’ correct size 3G pitch in Runcorn and were never behind.

They were in front from the 13th minute when striker Greg Mathers made a good touch and found Charlie Rodick who swept the ball into the bottom left corner.

But on 20 minutes a moment of madness from Jonny Cavanagh, who tripped his opponent inside the box, allowed Reece Dwyer to step up and level matters.

It was nip and tuck as both sides tried to play good football and it was Mathers again who paved the way for Knutsford’s second goal on 28 minutes.

His excellent lay-off allowed Woodward to curl home left-footed from 20 yards out.

Brandon Blades had a free header from eight yards out but failed to connect as a big chance was missed to make it 3-1 before the break.

Mathers, industrious throughout, was again involved in the third and final goal when it came on 61 minutes.

He hit a great cross that the home goalkeeper tipped over the bar but from the resulting corner the ball fell nicely for Rodick to slash home his 10th goal of the season.

Runcorn did a lot of pressing to try and get back into the contest but Knutsford defended well to keep them out.

Charlie Sheldon was solid, Jake Maunder used his pace to good effect, Joel Wilbraham was strong and Fregapane composed, while goalkeeper Dominic Smith had a good game.

Knutsford: Smith, Wilbraham, Fregapane, Maunder, Sheldon, Cavanagh, Kennedy, Woodward (Davis), Rodick (Mawdsley), Mathers (Wooley), Blades (Mountney).

The next pressing matter is for Reds to try and get a home game played on their Manchester Road pitch.

They are scheduled to host Winsford Town Reserves in the Mid Cheshire Cup group stage on Saturday, but they have not played at Manchester Road since October 7 and no machinery has been able to go on the pitch since October 10.