KNUTSFORD FC head into a huge league fixture this weekend on the back of a brilliant win.

Sixth-place Reds visit Cheshire League One table-toppers Upton JFC on Saturday, kick-off 2pm, looking to continue the goal-scoring form that brought them a 7-3 success over Stockport Georgians Reserves five days ago.

That was a result which takes Knutsford into the quarter finals of the Cheshire Amateur Cup away to Runcorn Sports on January 6, but focus will switch back to staying in touch with the leading clubs in the league until then.

Reds have at least two games in hand on all but one of the clubs above them, and if those games are won they would be in second spot.

The wet weather has seen Knutsford fall behind in terms of the number of matches played, and they switched their cup clash with Stockport to the all-weather pitch at Moss Farm in Northwich on Saturday in order to get it played despite the atrocious conditions.

SG were well organised and played good football, so it was important that Reds found their marksmanship in what proved to be a cracker of a game.

Rodick opened the scoring on five minutes but then Knutsford conceded from a corner.

Soon after Brandon Blades, powerful down the left side, hit a good cross to Mountney who steered the ball home for 2-1.

Smith made a couple of decent saves to keep his side ahead.

However, the visitors did equalise on 40 minutes from a breakaway.

The first half’s tit-for-tat scoring was not over, however.

As the half closed, and after good work from Blades and Mountney, Rodick scored his second for 3-2.

Reds came out firing on all cylinders after a harsh half-time team talk that enforced the message ‘keep working hard and work even harder or SG can win this game’.

Mountney missed a big chance but then Blades gave the hosts a two-goal lead for the first time from a corner in the 47th minute.

From a great cross by Rodick, Woodward headed against the bar with both sides aware that the next goal would be crucial.

It came Knutsford’s way in the 70th minute through Cavanagh, who headed home from a corner.

More good work from Rodick down the right side led to a delivery for Woodward to finish well nine minutes later to make it 6-2.

Stockport remained competitive and kept pressing, but they found Maunder, Fregapane and Sheldon excellent at the back plus Smith solid in goal.

The visitors’ efforts were eventually rewarded again when Wasim netted on 88 minutes but Reds had the last laugh when Slamani hit the target in added time.