KNUTSFORD FC came crashing back down to earth at the weekend.

Reds, top of the league after three wins and a draw, fell to their first defeat of the season.

They came up against their strongest opposition so far this season, losing 3-0 at Golborne in Cheshire Football League Division One.

Knutsford, who visit third-placed Bollington Town tonight, return home on Saturday when they host Vulcan at Manchester Road, kick-off 2pm.

They will be away again next Tuesday when they face Cheadle Heath Nomads Reserves, kick-off 6.30pm.

Reds, with three changes to their starting line-up and a youthful bench, were expecting a tough match at Golborne and they got it.

Knutsford enjoyed more of the possession in the first half but lacked a cutting edge against a defence well marshalled by star home centre-half and skipper Daniel Griffiths.

A Bradley West shot that went wide after 20 minutes was not only the game’s first chance but the closest Reds came to a goal.

Three defensive mistakes cost them the goals that they conceded.

Golborne, who looked to play on the counter and relied on their sharp and lively forwards Josh Taffe and Rob Newcome who were a threat all match, went ahead in the 35th minute from a deflected strike by George Reid.

When Charlie Sheldon gave the ball away and Newcome ran through to finish comfortably for 2-0 on 57 minutes it was an uphill battle for the visitors.

Knutsford kept pressing and tried to play football but were outmuscled all over the pitch.

Golborne sealed their success from a free kick when Newcome was afforded a free header at the far post.

Knutsford: Smith, Mawdsley, Fregapane, Maunder, Sheldon, Cavanagh, Simcock, Rodick (Giani), West, Blades (Chatha), Woolley (Woodward).

Premier Division Egerton have a run of three home games to look forward to.

They welcome Whaley Bridge Athletic tonight, kick-off 8pm, host Poynton on Saturday, kick-off 2pm, before entertaining Parklands next Tuesday, kick-off 8pm.

They won 4-3 at Winstanley Warriors at the weekend, with all seven goals coming in the second half.

Matty Argent-Barnes netted twice, with Joe Knight and Amir Marcos also finding the mark for Egerton.