SATURDAY was a historic day for Knutsford Rugby Club.

For the first time in almost a decade, supporters were able to watch both of the club’s senior teams on home soil at the same time.

It is only fitting, then, that both sides toasted the day with impressive victories.

The first team were 21-5 winners against Liverpool University Vets while the seconds picked up a 32-10 victory over Newcastle Staffs’ third team.

After Alex Malcolm had kicked them ahead through an early penalty, the firsts found themselves camped on the Liverpool tryline and made the pressure tell when Chris Owen charged through to score in the corner.

However, the visitors capitalised on some Knutsford errors to hit back with a try of their own and reduce the half-time deficit to five points.

This only seemed to stir Knutsford into life, though, and Malcolm kicked another three points after the break.

Straight from the restart, Jack Field and Kieran Slater broke the line to set up the hosts’ second try, scored by Frazer Crawford.

They had to see out some self-inflicted pressure, but Knutsford eventually got to the other end of the field for Stefano Spinola to score the game’s final points late on.

The seconds were in NOWIRUL Plate action and won comfortably to progress through the third round despite the early loss of scrum-half Will Duce to a serious ankle injury.

Chris Edmonds’ try – converted by Gianluca Edwards – got the ball rolling but Newcastle were quick to level with a converted score of their own.

Newcastle then edged ahead via a penalty, but that would be the last time they troubled the scorers.

James Whittaker crossed off the back of some superb Knutsford scrummaging to give the hosts a lead they would never relinquish.

Two tries followed shortly after the interval – Ed Snook powered through before Whittaker showed great footwork to add his second of the game.

More sustained pressure then led to Ted Parr crossing for the game’s final score.

The firsts are at home to Manchester’s seconds on Saturday while the seconds are not in action again until October 23 when they host their counterparts from North Manchester.