KNUTSFORD Football Club have waited more than seven months for a competitive fixture.

Finally, though, they were able to get their season underway on Saturday – even if they had to leave the town to do it.

As the continued bad weather threatened to put paid to their Cheshire FA Amateur Cup match against Partington Village, Reds hired the 3G pitch at All Hallows College in Macclesfield to ensure the game went ahead.

It proved a worthwhile exercise as Nick Eaton’s new-look Reds side swept to a 5-2 victory.

Knutsford slowly took control after a frantic start, creating three good chances but failing to convert.

Partington, who were playing their first ever game in this competition, looked dangerous on the counter-attack and forced Reds keeper Nick Ward into a good save.

It was a warning Knutsford did not heed as the lower-ranked visitors took the lead after mistakes in the home defence.

Partington continued to pose plenty of problems until finally, Knutsford were able to equalise.

Just before the half-hour mark, the ball was worked out to James Manson on the left, and he cut inside to rifle home from an acute angle.

The game continued to go back and forth until Miguel Vilches put Reds into the lead.

The pacey frontman flicked the ball over a defender and slotted home just two minutes before the interval.

Knutsford continued where they had left off after the break to put themselves in command, with Vilches again to the fore.

Greg Mathers played an excellent ball through to the goalscorer, who was too quick for his marker and he slid the ball into the net for his second goal.

The intensity dropped in the second half as both sides started to tire, with Reds in control but lacking a cutting edge until 20 minutes from time when Mathers went from provider to scorer.

Substitute Thomas Leaver played a clever pass to release Manson, who cut the ball back for Mathers to sweep home.

Leaver was again involved in the fifth goal as he set up Mathers to double his tally with 12 minutes left.

Partington scored the final goal after a long ball beat the Knutsford defence, but the home side were comfortable victors.