IN what was their first home game of the new season, Knutsford Hockey Club men’s firsts marked the occasion fittingly.

They laid waste to Winnington Park’s second team, racking up a comfortable 6-1 victory.

Ollie Lasham – the club’s second team player of the year from last season – ensured Knutsford started brightly as he finished comfortably after finding space in Winnington’s area.

The hosts continued their domination and struck twice more– Max Lawton converting a penalty corner and Harry Kenyon showing good reflexes with a sharp deflection.

As the game moved towards the break, Winnington slowly played their way into the game and it took three smart saves from goalkeeper Tom Wright to keep Knutsford in command.

However, thanks to further goals from Lasham and Lawton, Knutsford regained their composure to all but seal the game before half-time

Winnington hit back after the interval as the home side took their foot off the gas, converting a well-executed counter-attack to reduce the deficit to four.

It was Lawton who had the last word, though, as his excellent drag flick into the roof of the net sealed his hat-trick.

Their next game sees them travel to Macclesfield’s seconds on Saturday.

Unfortunately, the women’s firsts were on the wrong side of the result as a poor start proved costly at Whitchurch.

Knutsford found themselves 2-0 down inside the first 10 minutes as they struggled to live with the hosts’ high press.

They did well to limit the damage until Whitchurch scored a third goal, with Knutsford unhappy that an obstruction on the goalkeeper was missed by the umpire.

Still, they reduced the deficit before the break as Hannah Quinn converted to make the score 3-1 at the break.

Another goal early in the second half all but ended hopes of a comeback but Knutsford refused to roll over, with Suzi Weir pulling another goal back.

Whitchurch grabbed another before Weir’s second ensured Knutsford had the final word in a 5-3 defeat.

They will look to bounce back when they host Deeside Ramblers’ thirds on Saturday.

The men’s thirds came out on top against their Macclesfield counterparts at Knutsford Leisure Centre as they recorded a 2-0 win.

The hosts scored either side of half time to take the victory, with Steve Hope and James Moser on the scoresheet.