KNUTSFORD and Egerton Football Clubs have both played their final games for the foreseeable future.

Acting upon advice from the Government and the Football Association, the Cheshire Football League has suspended all fixtures until further notice amid the coronavirus outbreak.

The sides were meant to meet in a Premier Division ‘derby’ match at Manchester Road on Saturday.

However, it is currently unclear when – or even if – the season will resume.

Both sides managed to play on Saturday, with Knutsford going down 2-0 at Broadheath.

A much-changed Reds side fell victim to an excellent display from former Knutsford man Tom Schofield, who controlled the midfield for the hosts.

Ben Woods and Milan Thompson looked lively up front for Jordan Gunter’s side but lacked the quality of service required.

Nathan Okome was forced to clear a Broadheath effort off the line with goalkeeper Steve Dryden beaten, but the deadlock was broken just before half time.

Knutsford failed to clear a ball in from the left and James Callwood was left with a simple tap-in from six yards out.

Reds continued with their ambitious 4-2-4 formation after the break and chances started to come.

Woods and Shane Davies both had efforts saved by the Broadheath keeper before Gunter sent on dual-registered 1874 Northwich players Ryan Jackson and Joe Woolley for an injection of quality.

The pair combined in the box for Jackson to have a shot saved as Knutsford huffed and puffed, but Broadheath remained a threat on the counter.

With a minute of normal time left, that threat revealed itself as Dryden’s failed clearance presented the home attacker with an open net in which to tap the ball and seal Knutsford’s fate.

Knutsford: Dryden, Wynne, Cartner, Okome (Woolley), Riley, Evans, Butler, Moss (Jackson), Thompson, Woods, Davies (Phipps). Subs not used: Barry, Sutherland

Meanwhile, Egerton were also beaten on the road as they lost 1-0 at high-flying Warrington side Eagle Sports, for whom an own goal provided the winner.