KNUTSFORD FC will be hoping a trip to fellow strugglers Broadheath Central in the Altrincham Senior Cup quarter finals on Saturday can help to kick-start a U-turn in their fortunes.

Four successive losses, topped by a 3-0 fall at Poynton at the weekend, shows the Reds are in a slump of form.

They now sit fourth from bottom of the Cheshire Football League Premier Division, just four points clear of basement side Broadheath.

To cap their miserable Saturday, Martyn Simcock's first game of the season ended in him leaving the field injured after 35 minutes, while Jake Maunder was sent off late on to add to Knutsford's woes regarding player availability this campaign.

Apart from the opening 15 minutes, Knutsford were poor and confidence is clearly in short supply.

The Reds struggled to put their game together and were short of any hold-up play in forward areas.

They currently lack the options to change the shape and balance of the team.

Poynton were fitter, stronger and more aggressive in all areas of the pitch.

They played the conditions and worked harder than Jordan Gunter's side.

Both teams were hampered by a poor playing surface at Poynton Sports Club, but the Reds created a couple of early chances.

Striker Kyle Phipps had a shot cleared off the line and had another effort saved by keeper Jake O'Regan after some fine spadework by Barney Wynne down the right.

Another Wynne cross found Mark Evans but the midfielder headed weakly into the keeper's path.

Then, from a long ball counter, Knutsford's centre halves failed to head clear and the ball fell to Jason Leach who finished well into the bottom left corner from 25 yards with 20 minutes on the clock.

George Riley cleared another Poynton effort off the line to keep the score 1-0 at the interval.

Wynne headed off the line to deny Poynton from a corner and then Carl McCurrie headed wide from another corner as Poynton pressed forward.

From one good Knutsford move involving Phipps, the ball hit the net but an offside decision was called.

It was brief respite as a deep cross to the far post found Poynton striker McCurrie unmarked and he volleyed home from a tight angle for 2-0 on 70 minutes.

A Knutsford corner was earned and Joel Wilbraham was first Riley's delivery but headed just wide.

Danny Johnson hit a right footer just past the post for Poynton.

On 88 minutes the game was put to bed when Poynton sub Max Dickov dispossessed Maunder on the halfway line to launch a quick attack that resulted in Tom Bowey fiting home for 3-0.

A frustrated Maunder was then shown a red card for bad language to the referee to put a seal on Knutsford’s woeful afternoon.