WHEN they travel to FC St Helens on Saturday, kick off 3pm, Knutsford FC will get the chance to earn immediate revenge.

Reds visit Windleshaw Road aiming to progress in the JB Parker Challenge Cup at the expense of the team who ended their five-match unbeaten run at the weekend.

Jordan Gunter’s side were beaten 2-1 in the Cheshire Football League Premier Division at Manchester Road on Saturday as they failed to make the most of the dominance they had for most of proceedings.

Knutsford had gone into the game full of confidence, with their aforementioned unbeaten run featuring four consecutive victories.

However, they must now hope a change of competition will bring about a change of fortunes against opposition that proved too difficult to break down.

They will be travelling to a side that will be hoping to go one better in this competition than last year.

The St Helens outfit got all the way to the final, only to lose on penalties to Whaley Bridge Athletic.

Joseph McKeegan got their winning goal on Saturday as they got what they came for and much more.

George Riley had converted a penalty for Knutsford to cancel out an opener from Liam Houghton.

The result drops Gunter’s side to eighth in the table, but they must now park their league concerns for a week.

The hosts almost monopolised possession in the first half against a visiting outfit that seemed content to sit back and wait for counter-attacking opportunities.

Still, for all their control of the ball, Reds could not fashion a notable chance and fell behind just before half time.

Jack Graham went on a superb run that took him beyond the previously untroubled Knutsford defence and laid the ball off for Liam Houghton to slot home.

Knutsford lifted their game a little after the break but still found St Helens difficult to break down, with Andrew Simpson heading over a half-chance.

Terence Butler then had a stooped header cleared before a chance to get back into the game presented itself to Reds.

The visitors failed to clear Bradley Williams’ corner and as a result, Graeme Brotherton was brought down.

The referee pointed to the spot and despite St Helens goalkeeper Cameron Duffy getting a hand to the ball, George Riley’s spot kick was too powerful.

It was all Knutsford from then on, with Williams hitting a free kick against the wall before flashing a shot wide of the post.

Still, there was a lack of urgency and after scoring the equaliser, Riley played a big part in FC St Helens’ winner.

After the goalscorer lunged in to give away a free kick that was curled into the box, the ball found its way into the net via the head of Joseph McKeegan.

With the pressure now on to find an equaliser, Williams somehow shot wide from close range after Duffy had fumbled Milan Thompson’s effort before substitute Steve Jenyons headed Riley’s cross wide.

They huffed and puffed, but Knutsford could not break their visitors down.

Knutsford: Dryden, Wilbraham (Wynne), Kirby, Maunder, Brotherton, Warren, Riley, Butler, Evans (Jenyons), Thompson, Simpson (Williams) Subs not used: Harrison, Sutherland