WILMSLOW Wolves’ relegation back to North One West is now confirmed.

The 36-17 loss - the 19th of the season - at Rossendale on Saturday along with results elsewhere mean Rick Jones’ side are doomed.

Through a tough campaign Wolves’ players have given their best and kept their spirits up but many have found Level 5 rugby a step too far.

Man for man, Rossendale were bigger, more athletic and more powerful than their Wilmslow opponents.

All through the season, Wilmslow’s forwards have matched their opponents in set piece and lineout play and this game was no exception.

The difference was that in possession Rossendale played with more pace and could drive across the gain line in the tackle.

Facing the wind in the first half, Wolves actually shared two tries apiece to trail by only 14-10 at the break.

They were fortunate though to be still in touch as Rossendale had butchered at least two certain scoring opportunities with handling errors.

They had scored their opening try after 10 minutes when Wilmslow got turned over at the breakdown in their own 22.

For a while, there was a bit of ebb and flow to the game but Rossendale had always looked the more likely and their second try had its origins in a Wolves kick taken in space by Rossendale’s back three in their own 22.

Good running and passing provided the space for a well created score.

With half an hourgone, Wolves had barely emerged from their own half until a penalty got them to within a couple of metres from the Rossendale line where at the second attempt they recycled possession to eventually put blind side flanker Harry O’Loughlin over.

A second try just before half time then came from an opportunistic interception by Ethan Harding on halfway.

Knutsford Guardian:

But with the wind behind them after the break Wolves could not take advantage against a side that hadn’t won this year.

Wolves could hardly get their hands on the ball as they faced wave after wave of ferocious attacks from the home side.

Rossendale’s handling, support play and ball retention against a stiff wind was accurate, precise and impressive.

Wilmslow were forced into conceding a spate of penalties at the breakdown.

Inevitably, the spaces opened up, constant tackling and tracking back becomes debilitating and Rossendale scored four tries to put the game out of sight.

Three of them came in a 10-minute spell midway through the third quarter.

Wilmslow's heads were now drooping and a fragile confidence was ebbing away, when their forwards went to sleep in the lineout on halfway.

Despite it being their throw, nobody went for the ball which was fielded at the tail by Rossendale’s back row and they were off again for what became their final score.

Only a late consolation from Sean Street, when the Wolves capitalised on a rare Rossendale second-half handling error to produce some enterprising length-of-the-field stuff, reduced the deficit.