KEELAN Sherwani’s winning goal helped Knutsford men’s fight back from two goals down to record a victory in their season opener Sherwani struck the decisive goal in a 3-2 win over Winnington Park as they made a strong start to their North West Men’s League Division One campaign.

They did not have it all their own way, however, as the hosts had taken a two-goal lead after a scoreless first half.

After a quick break, the Winnington forward was able to round Knutsford keeper Tom Wright and slot the ball home.

Park were soon on the offensive again and doubled their lead after being awarded a short corner, which was duly stroked home by the home captain.

However, this served to wake Knutsford up and Wolstencroft converted a short corner of their own to reduce the deficit.

The visitors found themselves level shortly afterwards as Freddie Pass led a break forward and Wolstencroft’s reverse shot was deflected home by Gary Brown.

Despite finding themselves down to 10 players twice as first Jim Halling and then Brown were given yellow cards, but they found their winner with the clock winding down.

A three-on-one break ended with Sherwani finishing coolly past the advancing Park keeper and Knutsford held on for victory, meaning they were one of teams to win their opening Division One encounter.

They face another of those teams, City of Manchester, at Knutsford Leisure Centre on Saturday, push back 2pm.

The seconds enjoyed a far more comfortable afternoon against their Winnington Park counterparts, picking up a 4-0 victory at Knutsford Leisure Centre.

Adam Locke fired in a hat-trick for the hosts, with Simon Squirrell grabbing the other goal from a penalty corner.

On Saturday, the seconds travel to Neston’s fourths, push back 3pm.

Then men’s thirds, who will ply their trade in Division Seven South East this season, get their campaign underway on Saturday when they host Sandbach’s seconds, push back 3.30pm.

The women’s first team were edged out by Wilmslow’s seconds, slipping to a 3-2 away defeat despite leading at half time.

Knutsford made the perfect start when Elin Rees finished Gill Lunt’s cross to give them the lead inside the first 30 seconds.

The hosts equalised from a free hit, but Knutsford moved back into the lead when Lunt once again found Rees with a pass and she duly scored her second of the game.

Wilmslow emerged for the second half meaning business but initially met a strong and resolute Knutsford defence.

They needed plenty of support from their midfield players and between them, they managed to repel the initial waves of Wilmslow attacks.

The hosts eventually found an equaliser when, despite a good save from keeper Lucy White to divert an initial shot away, the rebound fell kindly for a Wilmslow player to poke the ball over the line.

White was then besieged by shots as Wilmslow searched for a winner, but she stood firm until late on when a short corner was converted to condemn Knutsford to defeat.

They host Runcorn’s firsts on Saturday, push back 12pm.