BOTH Egerton FC and Knutsford FC kicked off their 2023/24 Cheshire Football League campaigns with victories at the weekend.

Egerton overcame AFC Knowsley 2-0 at Mereheath Lane in the Premier Division, while Knutsford FC defeated Newton Athletic 2-1 in League One.

Matches will come thick and fast during August, with Egerton visiting Eagle Sports on Saturday, kick-off 2pm, and then hosting Crewe FC next Wednesday, 8pm.

Knutsford FC make the trip to FC St Helens Reserves on Saturday, 2.30pm, and then entertain Daten at Manchester Road on Tuesday, 6.30pm.

Egerton, eager to improve on last season’s 13th-place finish with sights set on promotion, went into their first game with 10 debutants Nathan Steele’s men were unlucky not to have at least gone in with a lead at the break, with new signing Joe Knight missing the best chance of a header at the back post.

Yellows increased the tempo after the break with stand-out performer Tyler Ferguson exciting the crowd.

On 60 minutes Ferguson delivered a corner which was headed home by Tom Matthews at the near post. Unfortunately that was the end of Matthews’ debut as he picked up an injury while challenging for the header and was replaced by Jason Watkins.

Knowsley nearly created a shock equaliser but keeper Alex Wetton pushed the shot wide.

Egerton then went to the other end where Ferguson played a smart one-two with Knight then continued his run and produced a pinpoint cross for the on-rushing O'Neill to open his account on debut.

Egerton controlled the remaining time and head coach Dougie Pringle said: "We were pleased with the performance. A lot of the information and challenges we've given the team over pre-season were applied well by the lads."

Knutsford were considered to be virtually at full strength for their tough encounter with Newton.

They suffered an early setback, falling behind after 10 minutes, and although Reds were controlling the play in the first half they lacked penetration.

Knutsford were back on level terms after 70 minutes.

Harrison Woolley took a good touch and looked to cross the ball, however it swerved into the far corner of the net.

And two minutes later Reds bagged their winning goal thanks to Charlie Rodick driving the ball low across goal and Brandon Blades bundling it home.

Team: Simpson, Giani, Mawdsley, Maunder, Brotherton, Bowie, Cavanagh, Evans, West, Woodward. Subs used: Wilbraham, Blades, Woolley, Rodick.