KNUTSFORD Hockey Club’s women are climbing up their league table.

A 4-2 success at Macclesfield’s seconds last Saturday resulted in them moving up to fourth.

Helping them on their way in a match full of highlights was a hat-trick from Suzi Weir.

Today promises to provide another exciting encounter as the women welcome Warrington to Knutsford Leisure Centre.

Play started last Saturday with a bit of a whirl, with a Sarah Locke/Weir penalty corner putting the visitors ahead after three minutes.

Play settled down and Liz Ball, Amy Bruce, Katie Welch and Jenn Greenhalgh exerted their authority with the latest defence arrangements. Welch, particularly, showed her defensive prowess playing centre back for the first time.

The right-hand creative magic of Gill Lunt and Netty Hine was working well again, with Hine finding the backboard for 2-0 after 11 minutes.

Macclesfield started to step up their game and clawed their way back into contention with a determined open-play goal 25 minutes into the half.

The half-time rest revitalised the Knutsford team, and the early first half pace returned with plenty of linking play through the Locke, Hannah Quinn and Hine midfield.

Nine minutes into the half the hard work and structured play rewarded Locke and Weir with their second assist/goal combo of the day.

With Weir now smelling blood, and with her sights set on topping the goal scorers’ league table, she found the backboard two minutes later, bringing her level with Jess Flack on three goals apiece so far this season.

Ironically, it was at this point Flack needed to leave due to her farming commitments.

Quinn retired to rest her weary knee, and another new team formation developed with Susie Hough commanding the defence.

Ball filled the opening on the left wing and relished her new position, going on to have a stunning game and causing all sorts of trouble for Macclesfield’s right back.

The last 15 minutes saw Lois Pedlow return to her favoured defensive position, where she produced the performance of the season so far.

She completely closed down Macclesfield’s right-hand attacking play with a fantastic display of tackling and blocking, earning her a much deserved player-of-the-match award.

Despite the now traditional goal conceded in the last minute of the game it was a great result from a tougher than expected game.