KNUTSFORD FC’s form is starting to improve.

Reds’ performance was better in a 0-0 draw at Eagle Sports in Warrington on Saturday.

And then on Tuesday night they pushed Cheshire Football League Premier Division leaders Broadheath Central to the wire before succumbing 2-1.

They should feel a little more confidence about themselves when they head to AFC Knowsley on Saturday, kick-off 1pm.

At the weekend though, five changes were made to the starting line-up as a 4-5-1 formation was taken to try to reduce the defensive mistakes seen in the opening games of the season which resulted in three bad defeats.

Midfielders Blair and Manson had to play in the heart of the defence due to absences.

Knutsford made a decent start and were ‘on it’ from the kick-off.

Eagleplayed to their strengths – a solid defence and counter attack system in wide areas looking to get crosses in. The danger was the aerial threat with Eagle the much taller side.

Blair and Manson were well focused and supported by Riley and Butler in deeper midfield positions.

Few clear chances and little quality football was played in the first half, but an absorbing match nevertheless unfolded with Knutsford defending multiple dangerous crosses and looking for a fast counter.

Burgess went close from 16-year-old Lunt’s cross and White made a fantastic save from close range.

But it was defences on top, a well disciplined and big effort made prior to the half-time whistle.

Knutsford were lacking in forward hold-up pla,y with Burgess carrying a knoc,k though the speedy Phillips always looked dangerous

Vilches-Narro replaced the injured Burgess on 47 minutes and blasted over the bar from a Quinn cross but went off injured on 56 minutes to be replaced by Naylor.

Knutsford were working hard and determined not to concede a cheap goal with Blair and Manson excellent throughout and no-one got past them.

Naylor had a good chance but failed to control the ball.

Geary, 18, replaced Hanson on 78 minutes and put himself about well while Corbishley replaced another 18-year-old in Conaty two minutes later.

Knutsford had the better chances in the second half and on 89 minutes Geary received the ball from Phillips, rounded the goalkeeper but from a tight angle could only skim the far post.

Knutsford: White, Lunt, Quinn, Blair, Manson, Riley, Butler, Conaty (Corbishley), Phillips, Burgess (Vilches-Narro, Naylor), Hanson (Geary).