FIXTURE reformatting has taken place in the Cheshire Football League but Knutsford FC chairman Jimmy Evans questions sustainability due to the current varying Covid-19 restrictions.

Teams based in the coronavirus pandemic Tier 3 areas – Liverpool, Greater Manchester and Warrington – can not play teams from outside of their boundaries for 28 days from the point the strictest restrictions were imposed.

But the league's Tier 2 teams can still travel over their borders to play.

The league's chiefs have amended this weekend's fixtures, as they have done previous weekends, to allow as many games as possible to take place.

Knutsford are scheduled to host Crewe FC at Manchester Road, kick-off 2pm.

"All fixtures are subject to change based on Covid restrictions and new Tier 2 and 3 status," said Evans, who has been studying the picture for the Premier Division in which his side plays.

"With seven Cheshire teams currently in Tier 2 and 10 Liverpool and Manchester sides in Tier 3, the Covid situation continues to impact non-league football and is making it untenable.

"With fans now reluctant to attend matches a further issue is a club's income is significantly down and they are struggling to pay the match official fees (£110+) and also meet the running costs.

"This is not sustainable."

Reds were 2-0 victors over second-placed Greenalls Padgate St Oswalds in a much improved display from the previous disappointing showing against Lostock Gralam.

Manager Nick Eaton made four changes to his line-up and went with a 4-4-2 formation.

Allen and Leaver provided some quality and creativity to Knutsford’s play.

Brotherton was solid and composed, with Mason and Riley industrious and effective in deeper roles

The constant rain and heavy pitch were not conducive to ‘flowing football’ but both sides tried to play and Mathers opened the scoring on four mins when hitting a left-footer into the far corner.

McWilliams had Greenalls' best chance on 32 minutes but headed over the bar.

Leaver arrived late at the back post and hit the upright as Reds went close again.

Manson rose well to head a deep delivery back across goal to Mathers who headed home the second and final goal on 40 minutes.

Greenalls improved after the break and Knutsford had more chances.

Hurst beat his marker in the box but delayed a left footer onto his favoured right and shot straight at the visiting keeper.

Vayro converted but was adjudged offside and a McCurrie header brought an excellent save.

When needed Knutsford defended well and with purpose.

They were resilient and saw the game out.