THE hopes of three victories in a row for Wilmslow Cricket Club’s first XI were wiped out, after a strong performance from Heaton Mersey saw the visitors leave with a seven-wicket victory after a rain delayed game.

With matches around Cheshire being called off due to the weather and waterlogged pitches, the Squirrels were lucky to get their game on, but thanks to the incredible efforts of their volunteer groundsmen, Wilmslow were one of just a handful of teams to get their game on.

With Heaton Mersey winning the toss, Wilmslow were put in to bat first.

From the off, the Squirrels struggled with the Heaton Mersey bowlers, with the visiting side striking early and dismissing four of the opening five batsmen for a duck each.

Luckily for Wilmslow, opening batsmen Dan Braddock, following on from his fantastic 111 in the Squirrels’ last game, was able to bring stability to the batting order along with Steve Fulker as they both scored 66 and 36 respectively.

At the end of the innings, the Squirrels had set Heaton Mersey a score of 132 to win.

The foul weather also decided to make an appearance right at the end of the first innings, and after a lengthy delay, Heaton Mersey were set a reduced target of 95 off 24 overs.

Wilmslow were able to pick up some early wickets, with Jegadeeshwaran Narayanan and Jake Woodhouse picking up early wickets, leaving the victors on 19-2.

However Heaton Mersey’s Damian Stringer and Dom Gandy dug in and batted well for the remainder of the game, with Wilmslow struggling to bowl well with the poor conditions.

Toby Rowe picked up a final wicket for the Squirrels, with the visitors needing one run to win – and Stringer saw that off to seal the seven-wicket win for the visitors.

The Squirrels first and second XI both face Ashley Cricket Club this Saturday, with the first XI away at Ashley against their first XI, and the second XI hosting Ashley’s second XI at Wilmslow Leisure Centre.

Both matches start at 12:30pm, so why not pop down to lend your support.