TYSON Fury is "almost sure" Deontay Wilder will fight him for a third time despite destroying the champion inside seven rounds to claim the WBC heavyweight title.

Fury, who grew up in Wilmslow and studied at Styal Primary School for six years, produced a stunning performance to beat Wilder, 14 months on from their controversial draw in which the majority of observers believed Fury should have won on points.

He had vowed to take the fight to the American and did just that, flooring the champion twice and completely dominating the action before the towel came in from Wilder's corner to confirm the 31-year-old as the winner.

The conclusive nature of the victory cast doubt over the value of Wilder's rematch clause, with Anthony Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn immediately suggesting a unification fight against Fury needs to happen.

Fury believes he will step into the ring with Wilder once again.

"The spoils of war are fresh," he said.

"I need to enjoy this victory and Deontay needs time to recover. But I'm almost sure he'll take the rematch because he's a dynamite puncher and he can take someone out at any time.

"With that level of danger, you can always win a fight. I'm sure we'll do it again if he wants to.

"If he doesn't want to, I'm happy with whatever my promoters say. Whoever's next gets the same treatment, that's for sure."

A right hand which landed near Wilder's left ear saw the champion go down heavily in the third and in the fifth, a right to the head and left hook to the body had a tired Wilder down again.

He was up quickly but tired as Fury looked to bring about a conclusive finish. Wilder was in a sorry state by the start of the seventh.

Another left hook had him hurt and all he could offer was his trademark, lazy, looping right hand. Fury pinned him in the corner and Wilder's corner pulled their man out of the contest.

Fury, a former unified champion who defeated the great Wladimir Klitschko in 2015 before being hit by depression and addiction, was quick to pay tribute to Wilder after the MGM Grand showdown.

Wilder was taken to hospital after the fight for precautionary checks and did not attend the post-fight press conference.

The American also required a couple of stitches for a cut in his ear.

Fury said in the ring: "Big shout-out to Deontay Wilder, he came here tonight, he manned up and really did show the heart of a champion.

"I hit him with a clean right hand and dropped him and he got back up and battled on into round seven. He is a warrior, he will be back, he will be a champion again.

"But I will say, the king has returned to the top."

Wilder's defeat was the first of his 42-fight professional career.

The only other bout the 34-year-old has not won was the first meeting with Fury in 2018, which ended in a controversial draw after Wilder was outboxed by his opponent.

Wilder said: "I make no excuses tonight, I got a lot of complications.

"I will come back and be stronger the next time around.

"This is what big-time boxing is all about, the best must fight the best. I appreciate all the fans that came out tonight and supported the show."



Fury rushes across the ring to meet Wilder but a tentative opening minute ensues before the Briton begins to exert his aggression. A left hook, right hand combination land and Wilder manages a reaching right hand.


A big right from Wilder lands quite cleanly but Fury is not bothered. A Fury left hook looks decent before a left-right has Wilder quickly clinching.


Fury hurts Wilder again early in the third with the American swinging away wildly. But a perfectly-timed right hand lands on Wilder's left ear, sending the champion down. He gets up quickly as Fury goes after him, hitting the deck again in what was a slip.


Fury goes looking for the finish with Wilder still possibly struggling from the previous round. Both men swing away, with Wilder slipping again.


Fury lands another huge right hand before, moments later, a right to the head and left hook to the body put Wilder down again. Again he rises quickly.


Wilder looks exhausted and bewildered but still trying to find the saving right hand. Further left hooks ensure Fury finishes the round superbly.


Wilder looks ragged and running on empty and he is hurt by another left hook. More lazy right hands follow from the struggling champion, who naively seeks solace in the corner. Fury then pins him in the opposite corner and peppers him with shots, prompting one of Wilder's corner to throw the towel in.