A CANDLE left lit in an unoccupied flat caught fire.

Firefighters were called to Colshaw Drive in Wilmslow shortly before midnight last night after residents heard a smoke alarm.

Crews found no-one was at home and after climbing a short extension ladder, could see a lit candle burning near to a dressing gown.

Firefighters forced their way into the premises to put the candle out.

Crews were at the scene for less than half an hour.

The candle is believed to have been left accidentally.

Firefighters warn people to be cautious about lighting candles at home.

Visit cheshirefire.gov.uk/public-safety/home-safety/candles-in-the-home for safety advise.