FIREFIGHTERS were called to a fire in a laundry room at Royce Court retirement housing in Knutsford this morning.

Two fire engines, from Lymm and Northwich, attended the fire at the housing in Manchester Road just after 10am.

A Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said firefighters located the fire in the laundry room, and two crew wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to put out the fire.

The spokesman said the fire was believed to have involved a tumble dryer, and a large fan was used to disperse the smoke and a thermal imaging camera checked the fire hadn't spread and was fully put out.