FIREFIGHTERS were called to reports of a gas leak in Handforth at 9.40pm last night.

One fire engine from Wilmslow attended the scene.

A spokesperson for the Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "At around 9.40pm firefighters were called to reports of a suspected gas leak on Wilmslow Road in Handforth.

"On arrival at the scene the crew were informed by a local resident that they had heard a loud bang and seen flames coming from the roadway, which they had extinguished.

"A safety cordon was put in place as a precautionary measure, the crew then used a gas detector to locate the source of the leak.

"After locating the source, the crew used a hose reel jet to disperse the gas and prevent it from igniting.

"The site was then passed to Candent Gas.

"Firefighters were in attendance for approximately 90 minutes."