FIREFIGHTERS gave oxygen to a resident suffering from the effects of inhaling smoke from a cooker fire.

Just before 9.30pm on Sunday firefighters were called to reports of a fire at a property in Kestrel Avenue, Knutsford.

On arrival the crews found the fire involved a cooker and everyone was accounted for.

A Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said the fire was caused by cooking food having been left unattended.

The fire was out on arrival but had left the property heavily smoke-logged.

The electricity supply to the property was isolated and two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a large fan to clear the smoke from the address.

Firefighters also administered oxygen to a resident who was handed over to the care of paramedics.

Firefighters were at the property for almost two hours. For cooking safety tips visit