RESIDENTS above a hair salon in Wilmslow were evacuated as firefighters found a chemical leak.

Firefighters were called to the address in Hawthorn Street at 8.52am yesterday after receiving reports of a strong ‘ammonia-type smell’ coming from the salon.

The crew evacuated residents from the flat above the salon on arrival.

A spokesman for Cheshire Fire Service said: “A fire crew was called out following reports of a strong chemical smell coming from a hairdressers. Occupants in the first-floor flat above were evacuated as a precaution, while a firefighter wearing breathing apparatus investigated the strong ammonia-type smell.

“It was found to be coming from a small refrigerator, and was removed to be dealt with outside. A large van was used to ventilate the premises.

“Paramedics were on hand to check for any ill effects to the evacuees - of which there were none - and the premises was handed back over to the property owner.”