A GAS fire set light to a fallen bird's nest at a house in Shearbrook Lane, Goostrey on Friday evening, causing a chimney fire.

A fire crew from Middlewich was called just before 8pm to a report of a chimney fire.

A bird's nest was found burning between the flue and the bricks of the chimney.

The gas fire was isolated and the crew used a thermal imaging camera to monitor temperatures on the first floor of the property and in the roof space.

Firefighters used a seven-metre ladder to remove the chimney cowl and pot and then the bird's nest.

At that point there was still burning material within the chimney breast.

The crew used the ladder, a roof ladder and working at height safety equipment to remove a blockage from above.

Firefighters then removed the gas fire and the flue to enable them to access and extinguish the fire and remove debris and smouldering embers from the chimney breast.

Once the fire was out they used a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots and make sure that the property was safe.

They were at the scene for one hour and 45 minutes.