Fire crews forced their way into a property in Town Lane, Mobberley on Sunday afternoon to tackle an unattended kitchen fire caused by a faulty toaster.

Smoke alarms had alerted neighbours to the fire, and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus put out the fire using a hose reel.

Fire crews from Wilmslow and Lymm were called just after 3pm, and were at the property for one hour and 20 minutes.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service stressed the importance of having smoke alarms fitted in your home.

Knutsford Guardian:

The fire-damaged kitchen

More than half of accidental fires at home are started by cooking - often when cookers and grills are left unattended.

A few simple measures will keep you and your loved ones safe.

Make sure saucepan handles don't stick out - so they don't get knocked off the stove.

Take care if you're wearing loose clothing - they can easily catch fire.

Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.

Double check the cooker is off when you've finished cooking.

Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob.

Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.

Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build-up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.

Take care when cooking with hot oil - it sets alight easily.

Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil so it doesn't splash.

If the oil starts to smoke - it's too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.

Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer. They can't overheat.

What to do if a pan catches fire - don't take any risks. Turn off the heat if it is safe to do so. Never throw water over it.

Don't tackle the fire yourself - Get Out, Stay Out, Call 999.