FIREFIGHTERS were called to a report of a fire in the open on Woodvale Road, Knutsford, at 10.50am on Wednesday.

On arrival crews discovered the fire involved a wooden fence which had spread to a small wooden outbuilding, and they used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.

Once the fire was out they damped the affected areas down and used a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots.

The fire is believed to have been caused by ashes being disposed of in a wheelie bin.

People are reminded to never put hot items in a wheelie bin, for example smoking materials, hot embers from coal/wood and hot ash.