FIREFIGHTERS attended a blaze at a Knutsford pub in the early hours of this morning, after a gas bottle caused an explosion.

Crews were called to the Legh Arms on Brook Street at around 2.33am, and found the standalone garage in the pub car park on fire.

Firefighters from Knutsford and Altrincham wearing breathing apparatus used hose reel jets to bring the fire under control. 

Landlady Zoe Blythe said: "There was an explosion in the garage - an outbuilding in the car park.

"There was nobody harmed and no damage to the pub."

The pub is open as usual today.