AN historic Mobberley inn is in the final stages of restoration and set to re-open to the public in April.

The Roebuck Inn, a grade II listed building on Mill Lane, has been closed for three years while owners Tim Bird and Mary Mclaughlin restore it to its former glory.

The pub, once owned by the Wellington Pub Company exchanged hands in May 2014 and will now be run by Tim and Mary’s Cheshire Cat Pubs and Bars enterprise.

The Roebuck Inn will be the couple’s seventh venture, whose estate includes the Bull’s Head in Mobberley, the restored Cholmondeley Arms on Lord Cholmondeley’s estate, The Three Greyhounds in Allostock and The Fitzherbert Arms on Lord Stafford’s estate in Swynnerton.

“Building work is going well as we return the Inn back to the days of 1911 when it was a small restaurant with guest bedrooms,” said Mary.

The building dates back to circa 1710, making it one of the oldest buildings in Mobberley.

The old hotel, which was open to guests travelling along Mill Lane when it was the main route through the village, has since fallen into disrepair, and despite previous schemes to salvage it has lain ruined for several years.

Plans, which were approved by Cheshire East Council in March 2015, include bringing the Roebuck Inn back to its origins as a ‘cosy inn’ with six boutique en-suite bedrooms and a bistro.

Amid the restorations, the walls have been sandblasted, old fireplaces have been discovered and the gardens have been mowed and trimmed back.

According to the owners, the new Roebuck Inn will boast an ‘interesting selection’ of drinks from small batch spirits to ‘unusual’ craft beers and an ‘old world’ wine list.

The menu is being kept under wraps until the opening.

The restoration has been regularly reported on the Roebuck Inn’s website, where owners Tim and Mary have posted photographs of the building’s progress.

To follow the updates visit and to find out more about Cheshire Cat Pubs and Bars visit