Let us have a short series of interesting snippets from the Guardian, this time drifting back in time to 1912, when not many of us were around.

The remarkable amount of motor traffic driving through Northwich was getting to be a bit of a problem. Or so say the magistrates at the Northwich Petty Sessions when Harold Robert Hodgeson, a printer from Bromborough, stood before them.

He was accused of driving his motorcycle rather fast and causing a danger to the public on Station Road. A police officer on point duty reported that 300 motor cars and motorcycles passed him in four hours.

Sergeant Proctor was with PC Durnall, and they were standing at the crossroads opposite the railway station when a motorcycle and sidecar came hurtling over the bridge from the direction of Manchester.

The officers had the rider under observation for 300 yards, and he drove at a reckless and dangerous speed that he estimated was at least 20 to 22 miles per hour.

When the motorcycle was about 50 yards away, the officer stepped out and shouted, “pull up” the defendant applied the brakes, but the cycle continued for about 10 yards.

The officer asked him why he was riding at such a dangerous speed.

The reply was that he put on a spurt so as not to get caught behind a pony and trap, and before the motor coming towards him stopped him from overtaking.

Alfred Carter of 90 Station Road estimated that the speed the defendant was riding was at least 20mph.

The chairman said that the narrow streets of Northwich needed extra care and fined Hodgeson 10/- with costs (£58.50 today).

In the same year, the clerk of Weaverham Parish Council sent a letter to the county council asking for the erection of motor danger notice boards in the vicinity of Weaverham County schools.

This was to ensure a measure of safety for children attending the school.

The Highway surveyor remarked that Forest Street was one of the most dangerous places in Cheshire!

Mr T.A Johnson also commented that the corner by the Gate Inn was also very dangerous.

The clerk was instructed to communicate with the county council to get the notice boards fixed.

Even in 1912, with far slower traffic on the road’s accidents did happen.

One involving a car being driven by the chauffeur of Mr Earl of Sandiway Cottage, Hartford.

The other was being driven by a gentleman from Blackpool who was driving from Tarporley to Warrington.

The cars met on a bend at Norcott Brook, and both cars were damaged. The one owned by the Blackpool gentleman was reduced to a hopeless wreck, and he received a serious scalp wound; the lady with him received a fractured shoulder.

As for Mr and Mrs Earl, they were more fortunate. They were travelling with the chauffeur driving and Mr and Mrs Earl with their little daughter.

Apart from Mrs Earl, who held on to both the car and her daughter, protecting her, Mr Earl and the chauffeur were thrown from the vehicle and escaped injury; Mrs Earl received just a few cuts.