Dementia care centre to remain open after scrutiny committee approves plans

Dementia care centre to remain open after scrutiny committee approves plans

Dementia care centre to remain open after scrutiny committee approves plans

First published in News
Last updated
Knutsford Guardian: Photograph of the Author by , News Editor

CHESHIRE East Council has said a dementia care centre in the borough will remain open.

The council’s health and adult social care overview and scrutiny committee backed Cabinet policy decisions from July 1 2014 to implement its Dementia Commissioning Plan and review of services at Mountview care centre.

The council confirmed Congleton’s Mountview centre is to remain open – providing day care for residents.

This decision comes three years after the authority closed Bexton Court in Knutsford.

The ‘call-in’ of the plan had been made by the council’s Labour group.

Cheshire East Council Leader Michael Jones said the council could now proceed with its plans without further delays.

“What we and the people of Cheshire East need is strong action and action now – not unnecessary delays," he said.

"Increasing need for dementia care is a ticking time-bomb for communities across the country.

“Nor should it be about turning adult social care into a political football – as some are seeking to do. What matters is getting the right care provision at the right time and in the right place to suit the needs of our vulnerable adults.

“The adoption of this Dementia Commissioning Plan follows this council’s commitment to putting ‘residents first’ and taking strong action to ensure that ‘dementia matters’ in Cheshire East Council."

Clr Dorothy Flude, Labour member for Crewe, said: "I called in the Cabinet decision of July 1, because of my very serious concerns about the future of the respite care provided by Cheshire East for the frail elderly, people with dementia, the chronic sick and people who have a learning difficulty.

"The call-in at the meeting on August 7 was designed to halt block purchasing of beds by the council’s officers for respite care for people with dementia, particularly in Congleton, until further consultation has been carried out.

"Because the call-in was rejected by the committee, officers now have that permission. The only respite care will be in the private sector, 3 beds for 12 months.

"I remind readers that this council closed Santune House in Shavington, with its excellent dementia care, with the promise to invest in Lincoln House as the alternative. It closed Bexton Court in Knutsford to invest in Hollins View. I am not prepared to see that same happen to Lincoln House and Hollins View.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree