NORTHWICH Road 101 or so years ago looks very different to today’s.
This pre-WW1 postcard shows a stretch of Northwich Rd from what is now the Conservative Club to the start of the Heath.
The large building was the night asylum, where itinerants and others with no fixed abode could at least spend the night in the dry.
The building towards the right with a ‘siren tower’ on top was where the horse-drawn fire engine was housed.
According to Joan Leach’s Knutsford: A History there was also a pub along here called The Volunteer, but it is difficult to pick it out among the cottages. The whole row was demolished about 1913.
Thanks goes to Mary Gracie for supplying photo.